Student Council at AGS
“Leadership is not about being in charge. Leadership is taking care of those in your charge”
Apple Global School believes that School Council, conducted by students and supervised by teachers, formed after democratic elections gives a chance to the students to display their leadership skills and further improve those skills for their future. In order to train and develop students for being responsible and acquire leadership qualities, an Investiture Ceremony is held every year at AGS. The School Council is formed every year in the month of July, based on a few strict and rigorous selection criteria. The school council has representatives from both- Senior and Junior categories.
The Student Council leaders are elected every year for the following roles.
- Head Girl & Head Boy
- Vice Head Girl & Vice Head Boy
- Sports Captain Boy & Sports Captain Girl
- Vice Sports Captain Boy & Vice Sports Captain Girl
- Green Crusader Captain
- School Cultural Captain
- House Captains (1 student from each house)
- Vice House Captains (1 student from each house)
After the elections, an Investiture Ceremony is held for the elected students. The significance and meaning of Investiture: “A formal investing of a person with authority, power, right, office or dignity. Within a school context, it means the Office Bearers will hold aloft knowledge, courage and confidence; a day when Individuals are to be Invested with Responsibilities.”
In essence, the role of the school council is one of helping the school administration in implementing the guidelines of the school where ever students are concerned. The responsibilities of the AGS school student council members include:
- Contributing to the development of the school’s strategic plan (what the school wants to achieve in the future and how it plans to get there);
- Developing, reviewing and monitoring the Student Engagement in the school (how the school expects students to behave, how bullying will be managed and the school’s approach to managing student behaviour), the School Dress Code (this includes how students are expected to dress during school hours including travelling to and from school)
- To give suggestions for the betterment of the student community and the school.
- To report any incident which they are aware of and which may be detrimental to the progress of the school
- Attend meetings with the school authorities as and when required for making decisions regarding the school and the student
- Canteen- meals and refreshments
- To try to make students understand the importance of following rules to avoid getting into trouble.
- Creating interest in the school within the community- they are the ambassadors of the school even when they are not in the school premises.
- Help in organizing school functions and events.