In the words of Swami Vivekanand,
“Education is not the amount of information that is put in your brain, and run riots there, undigested, all your life. We must have life-building, man making, character making, assimilation of ideas”
As a Head of school since almost 22 years now, the most common concern of teachers and parents is that the children have become disobedient, disrespectful and aggressive and a lot demanding. There has been a degradation in the value system over the years. The schools have been trying in their own way to inculcate good values in their students , but it seems like a never ending race..
I will emphasize on the steps that can be taken, which may help in inculcating proper values in the students. It’s entirely up to the priorities of the school to take points mentioned below to create better human beings.
Moral / Value education can change one’s life and give him an opportunity to live his life the way its meant to be. It will help the child in becoming a good and tolerant citizen of the country and above all a good Human Being, which is the need of the hour.
Indian education has to work on developing the spirit of inquiry and the power of original thinking.
Presently, Education is for the purpose of employment not knowledge.
Our education system tries to integrate the following values into the curriculum. The parents also can help the children acquire proper values like listed below.
- Respect Teachers & Elders
- Self dependence
- Righteous conduct
- Equality of religion
Goals to develop character:-
- A world at peace (free of war and conflict)
- Wisdom (a mature understanding of life)
- Happiness (contentedness)
- An exciting life (a stimulating, active life, respect for life)
- Equality (brotherhood, equal opportunity for all)
- Self-respect (self-esteem, feeling good about yourself)
- Social recognition (respect, admiration)
- A sense of accomplishment (I’ve made a lasting contribution)
- A world of beauty (beauty of nature and the arts)
- Family security (taking care of loved ones)
- Inner harmony (freedom from inner conflict)
- Pleasure (an enjoyable, leisurely life)
- National security (protection from attack)
Rewarding / Appreciation:
- Appreciating and rewarding values
Role Modeling: The elders need to be role models for the children.
Spending quality time with child will help him/her in developing a strong bond..
- I see I believe
- Values are caught _ if elders exhibit good values, the child will observe and learn.
- Inspirational childhood stories of National Leaders can be shared with the child.
- Interaction with achievers
- Involvement of Parents and Family members will help in creating a strong bonding.
- Community Service and visits to destitute homes/ old age homes/ orphanages to sensitize them about the society.
It’s never too late to inculcate values to enhance quality of life and appreciate every positive move students make to channelize them as responsible human beings.
Principal, Apple Global School